Monday 5 August 2013

My Coast to Coast to Coast Cycle Tour 2013


I'm away for a two week cycling and sketching tour across the north of England starting the day after tomorrow ((Saturday 10th August). The plan is cycle 400 miles from Barrow in Furness in Cumbria to Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast via The 'Walney to Whitby' cycle route, then down the coast to Bridlington and finally back across to Morecombe via the 'Way of the Roses' cycle route. In other words a 400 mile pub crawl.
It's all planned at a leisurely pace of about 35 miles each day so I can sketch and paint along the way.
That's the initial plan anyway and as I'm going to be fully self sufficient, camping along the way I can change it as I see fit. I will stay longer at some places where I find good sketching subjects and may pass other places quite quickly. The weather will play a big part in it all, hopefully not too wet or too windy, too sunny I can probably cope with.
No going back now.....train tickets for me and my bike are booked and paid for. I'm starting to feel a bit apprehensive now, will the weather be OK, will the hills be manageable with a loaded touring bike, will I be fit enough......

The trip is a 60th birthday trip "to find myself" whatever that means.....I hope I don't get lost.
 I chose this route as it takes me to a lot of the old backpacking haunts of my youth.

I'm planning on updating the blog as I go along wherever I can get a wi-fi signal, unfortunately this will mean visiting lots and lots of pubs along the way!  ;-)


Thats the bike packed....Looking good.

Total carried weight is 12kg which is not too bad as it includes full camping gear.
To pack the bike successfully you should lay out everything you think you can't live without and then half it and hopefully it will fit into 2 x 15 litre panniers and a barbag. It weighs about half of what I used to carry on the backpacking trips I did in my youth with my mate Ian.

I must remember to thank my long suffering wife for letting me indulge myself for a fortnight.
She is no doubt scanning holiday brochures, planning a cruise for herself and our daughter in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment