Tuesday 13 August 2013

Coast to Coast to Coast - Day 4 - Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle

Had company for breakfast at the campsite this morning.... 2 chickens have recently taken up residence and thought I was a soft touch for snacks. Unfortunately not but they hung about for about an hour before a better prospect turned up and fed them.




I was not looking forward to today's ride. 11 miles from Kirkby Stephen to Tan Hill Inn and it looks like all uphill. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, a nice sunny day helped a lt. Arrived at Tan Hill Inn at 12.20 with not too much pushing. I've got a heart rate monitor BPM connected to my GPS so when my heart rate gets to 150 BPM I get an alarm telling me to slow down. On Sunday and Monday it was going off on a regular basis but today it's only gone off once. So I'm either getting acclimatised to it all or it's given up. 2 pints of shandy and lunch at Tan Hill Inn and I'm raring to go again. As Tan Hill Inn is the highest point on the route I'm expecting its all downhill to Barnard Castle, more wishfully thinking. Arrived at Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle at 15.45 and no rain at all today. Spending tonight with my sister and her family so will be able to get laundry done and gadgets recharged.

At Tan Hill pretending I'm not knackered.

Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle

Statistics :
Distance today - 45.31km -  (29 miles)
Total distance - 189.52km -  119 miles
Height Climbed Today - 854m
Total Height Climbed - 3128m
Average speed - 14.5km
Maximum speed - 58.9km

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying this Geoff. Just off for a quick ride here before I go to work, to clear my brain before I start, I'll keep you company in spirit if not in reality. Hope the weather keeps kind to you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete