Sunday 18 August 2013

Coast to Coast to Coast Day 9 - Hutton Cranswick to York

Still windy but the sun is shining.... You can't have everything. My toes are not getting any worse so that's good. One long slow pull up to huggate then almost all downhill to Pocklington . Had to pull over on a narrow hill for a convoy of classic cars, alsorts from an old Bentley to MG,s TR,s lots of old fords from 60's and 70's etc, etc. good to watch go past and it gave me a bit of a breather. Pocklington to York was as close to being flat as makes no difference. All in all a nice cycling day, with lots of other cyclists on the road. 
Cycle and footbridge over the beck.

York is very cycle friendly, lots of cycle routes and some one way streets "except cyclists" The Way of the Roses Route takes you right into the centre of York past the minster etc. then back out along the river to the Youth Hostel. Got into the hostel at 1530.... It's very smart, newly refurbished, an excellent choice for the night.

Plenty of bikes in York.

Quick shower and change and a walk into the city centre for a look around. I did the tourist bit and had a walk around the city walls.

The Minster from the city wall

I'm writing this in the pub cos there is free wi-fi no other reason. My GPS is still charging in the hostel so I will have to add my daily statistics tomorrow.
I've done about 40 miles with about 300m of ascent as far as I can remember.
Gives me about 102 miles to go I think.
The pub has real ale and the one I've got is called "Yorkshire Terrier" it's quite nice I think I'll have another.....

York Minster Plaza in the sunshine.

The Shambles
Along the city wall... Without the bike

One of the city gates.




No comments:

Post a Comment