Saturday 10 August 2013

Coast to Coast to Coast Day 1 - Saturday 10th - Barrow in Furness

Well I'm here at the start of my trip. Getting here on the train with my bike went OK without any problems. Edinburgh Waverley was very busy, probably because its Saturday and the festival has started but I managed to get through the crowds. The sky was overcast until I got off the train in Barrow in Furness where the sun came out. There was quite a bit of traffic in Barrow which was a bit of an issue as I was also getting used to the feel of a loaded bike.


The Start.
Once I got from the railway station to the start via a tour of Walney island the ride back through town an up Abbey Road to my B & B was straightforward as I found the cycle lanes I missed on the way down. Barrow looks a pleasant place with an interesting waterfront and some nicely restored old buildings, plenty of flowers and trees around the town centre and quite a lot of interesting public sculptures.
Not much cycling today just the quick jaunt around Walney.
An early night tonight ready for the ride to Kendal tomorrow.


A selection of the ships built in the shipyard at Barrow in Furness


The tide's out - Walney


Statistics:
Distance Today - 9.45km (6 miles)
Total Distance - 9.45km (6 miles)
Ht climbed - 70m
Total Height climbed - 70m
Weather - mainly overcast but with sunny spells and a bit breezy from the west or south west.

No comments:

Post a Comment