Wednesday 21 August 2013

Coast to Coast to Coast Day 10 - York to Ripon to Summerbridge (nr Pately Bridge)

The day started with a fire evacuation at the Youth Hostel, ah well early breakfast? The days seen to be getting harder, my legs are sore, I think I should have taken a rest day somewhere. Dead flat between York and Ripon then back to the hills. Stopped for photo call at Boroughbridge to see 'The Devils Arrows' 
One of the Devils Arrows (the other two are in the field behind me)

I was intending to stop at Ripon but the Camping Club site was full, couldn't even squeeze in a one man tent with a footprint about 8' x 4' and totally unhelpful about suggesting anywhere else closeby. Only half a star for Camping and Caravan Club - Ripon "The Friendly Club". 

The cycle route after Ripon takes you through Studley Park.

I got linament and tiger balm from the chemist and continued plodding on towards Pateley Bridge, and eventually stopped for the night at Manor House Farm site. Brilliant site, Facilities OK but fantastic location. 
I've the camping area all to myself.


Totally drained today, once the tent was up I put on my down top and into my sleeping bag for an hours nap before I did anything else. After my nap I got my washing on. The farmer gave me directions to the pub for dinner. " just head across a couple of fields, across the stepping stones and a couple more fields and your there" correct in principle but the stepping stones where a bit of an issue. Two of the stones were not there, at least half of what was left were submerged. Hunger and thirst drove me on, I put everything possible in the drybag, rolled trousers up, put socks in my pocket and tried to cross. A bit of a wobble on the second stone but I made it across eventually. I don't think I will try it on the way back without the hunger incentive, if I slip I could end up floating face down past Harrogate in the morning.  I will go the long way by the road....... The very long way home by road 4.5 miles on tired legs. If I had realised I would have made do (probably) with a pot noodle and a couple of Talikers from my emergency hip flask (Medicinal purposes only)

Well deserved and excellent Steak Pie at the Wellington Inn at Darley Head.

Checked on my washing on the way back to my tent...oh soddit it's not drying at all...maybe I shouldn't have put all my cycling clothes and spare clothes in the wash together, the only dry clothes are what I'm wearing. Hmmmm. Feed more money into the tumble drier and hope for the best.

Tomorrow I need to decide my strategy for the rest of the week, do I have a rest day and hope I don't seize up completely or do I divide my days up into roughly 4 easy equal days of about 18 miles each, I've got to tie it all in with camping spots or accommodation. Or alternatively I could get to Morecombe as quickly as my tired legs will let me and have a couple of days lazing about before I get the train back home on Saturday.
Today's height profile! 


Statistics for yesterday :
Distance 62.07km (38.6 miles)
Total Distance 483.1km (300.2 miles)
Height Climbed 354m
Total height Climbed 5530m
Ave speed 16km/hr
Max speed 50.6km/hr

Statistics for today :
Distance 71.72km (44.5miles)
Total Distance 554.82km (344.8miles) 64 miles to go. ( If I was feeling OK I could do it in a day! )
Height Climbed 543m
Total Height Climbed 6073m ( 6000m level passed - yahoo! )
Ave speed 10.2km/hr ( obviously starting to feel the strain )
Max speed 48.8km/hr



No comments:

Post a Comment