Tuesday 13 August 2013

Coast to coast to coast Day 2 - Sunday 11th - Barrow in Furness to Kendal

This is cycling proper day 1
Target today is Barrow in Furness to Kendal
Set off at 0900 after a good breakfast. It rained during the night but dry and clear this morning. First stop was Furness Abbey, unfortunately I didn't see the signpost and ended up on a 3 mile detour, not the best start to my longest day. Furness Abbey looked good had a photo stop rather than a sketching stop as I was already behind schedule. Set off from Furness Abbey and promptly went wrong again. I cursed the GPS for not telling me I had gone wrong again, but it was user error. Tip of the day.... Don't wear posing cycling shades instead of prescription specs if you intend to stay on the right route. Specs now changed and I was off again.... I hour into the route and 6 miles travelled and I was only 1/2 mile from where I started! Bummer.
Must try harder. No more route mishaps today. Very heavy rain around Grange over Sands lasted for about 1 hour then just short heavy showers until close to Kendal.. Not too much of a problem I just kept sheltering under big trees. Got to the campsite at Kendal at 4.30. Quite a long day. I was met at the campsite by old friends Ian and Linda who had spotted what I was up to from my Facebook page and they where staying close-by. It was good to meet up after such a long time... Made my week.
My arms are sore with all the steep descents squeezing the brake levers for all I'm worth. I think I will need new brake pads before the end.
Statistics: 
Distance today - 78.62km (49 miles)
Total Distance - 88.07km (55 miles)
Height Climbed - 1053m
Total Height Climbed - 1123m
Number of hills pushed up - too numerous to mention
Number of unintentional detours - 2
Average speed - 15.2km/hr
Max speed - 49.7 km/hr

Furness Abbey

Furness Abbey 2

No comments:

Post a Comment