Tuesday 13 May 2014

Shetland and Fair Isle Painting Trip 2014. Day 1 Sat 10.05.14

Off to Orkney and Shetland today. Very late night last night getting everything ready for my trip and finishing off some Raku tile pictures for the gallery.
Finally got away at 0815 after 15 minutes playing with Frodo our new Yorkshire Terrier puppy, if I have time my first stop will be Tesco's in Wick for breakfast. Quite foggy for part of the way but got to Gills Bay with about 45 minutes to spare ( after 30 minutes in Tesco's ). A good crossing, quite calm and it stayed dry. Quite a bit of wildlife about, plenty of seals on the rocks plus Gannets, Guillemots, Razorbills, Cormorants, Eiders, Puffins and a couple of Skua's. Probably a lot more but I'm a rubbish birdwatcher. The crossing was just 1 hour and I'm in Kirkwall by1500, feeling quite tired so I had a kip in my campervan. I woke at 1700 just as everything was closing....bummer. Fish and chips for tea. Plenty of time to kill now as my ferry to Lerwick isn't until 2345 tonight. Spent quite a bit of time trying to get everything stored away in the van as I just chucked everything in this morning in the rush to get away, I've definitely brought too much stuff....I will need to be a bit more organised next time.
On the ferry to Shetland at 2330 and now with a pint of 'Simmer Dim' from Orkney brewery I think. mmmmm I may need another to help me sleep. I should arrive in Lerwick at 0730 in the morning. Time to check out my 'Sleeping Pod'

1 comment:

  1. Have a fun working break Jeff! Nice to see you have a new mutt :)

    ReplyDelete