Thursday 2 June 2011

Lossiemouth to Oban Sailing Trip 7

Saturday 28th May 2011

Photo of  'The Ben" from Corpath sealock


Bits of blue sky poking through the greyness this morning, looks promising......forever the optimist!
We have two locks, a swing bridge and the sealock to get through this morning to get us out into Loch Linnhe. The weather forecast for today is F5 to 6 gusting F8 so no change there then.
Raining again......
Loch Linnhe started well - a stiff breeze, managed a quick sketch of 'The Ben' in the mist. Got the mainsail up with the third reef in, looks like we will be doing quite a bit of tacking up Loch Linnhe today...sailing at last. Getting bounced around a bit so stopped sketching before my tummy told me to!
Disaster! We've blown the mainsail again 'big time' several rips, the largest about 6 to 8 feet long. sail lashed down to prevent further damage and back on the engine again. Long wet run up to Tobermory in quite large seas.
Started to feel cold on deck and didnt want to spend too much time in the saloon in case I started to feel queasy so a quick lunch of thick soup with pasta and some bread and its off to my bunk for a snooze. Im right next to the engine but the motion of the boat soon rocks me to sleep. Suddenly awake, all quiet, not getting rolled about in my bunk. A quick look through the hatch, everyone up there looks rather wet but we are approaching Tobermory and the sea is calm. back into my oilies to help tie up. Not a bad run up the Sound of Mull....for me anyway!
Weather clearing, a bit of blue sky and the sun has made a welcome appearance. Got the boat safely tucked up and everything stowed. Out with my sketchbook for an hour before dinner.

Tobermory

No comments:

Post a Comment